New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Lemon Thyme Pound Cake - Butter Cake # 2




Recipe tried in March 2011

As usual, buy first think later.

When I saw lemon thyme at Jusco, I was curious about how different it’ll taste from the usual thyme. It looked much less woody and I just threw one pack of it into my trolley. Lemon thyme is supposedly to smell like lemon when rubbed in your hands and they really do, something like lemongrass too, but less pungent. It smelled more lemony than thymey to me.



When I got back, I was wondering what to do with it. Wondering if there is something called a lemon thyme cake and indeed there is. Found 2 recipes and I decided to go with Martha’s as I like the syrup thingy. I do not have any Muscat (which is a white wine) or any other white wine on hand, so I made up my own syrup with lemon juice and citrusy liqueur. The cake only called for the zest, so by using the up the juice, I shall waste no part of it.


Lemon Thyme Pound Cake
Recipe source with personal adaptations: Martha Stewart

250gm butter
200gm sugar
5 large eggs (Grade A 65gm each, weighed with shells)
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
225gm all purpose flour
1 Tbsp lemon zest (I used 1 large Sunkist lemon)
1 Tbsp lemon thyme leaves
1 portion of Lemon Thyme syrup for drizzling

1. Sift flour and mix with lemon zest and thyme leaves. Set aside.
2. Butter and flour a few small bundt pans (I used a medium sized one and a loaf pan). Preheat oven to 160(fan)/180C
3. Cream butter on low speed for 3 minutes, then add in sugar and cream for another 4 minutes until pale and fluffy.
4. Put in eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract.
5. Put in half of flour mixture. Beat on low speed until well combined and scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Put in remaining of flour and beat until combined.
6. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 40 minutes or until golden and skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Let cake cool for 10 minutes(I just left it for 5 mins). If using bundt pan, invert cake and drizzle syrup over very warm cake. If the cake is baked in a loaf pan, then just drizzle syrup on the top. Let cake sit for at least 15 minutes before cutting so that the syrup can be well absorbed into the cake



Lemon Thyme Syrup
Recipe source: WendyinKK

50ml lemon juice (from 1 Sunkist lemon, it's more tangy than some other lemons)
50gm sugar
1 large sprig of lemon thyme
1 Tbsp citrus liqueur (I used Grand Marnier, or maybe you can use Limoncello or Cointreau or Bacardi Limon or just skip it)

Put lemon juice, sugar and lemon thyme sprig into a small saucepan. On medium low heat, bring to a boil and lower to lowest heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Turn of heat and let it cool. Mix in liqueur.



Verdict:
Yummmmy. The cake’s texture was soft and slightly spongy which was actually very nice. Crumb was tight, but not dense. The syrup moistened the cake well, but not making it soggy. I cut the loaf while it was still very warm and each cut was clean and crumb free, unlike usual butter cakes when it could be crumbly(when warm). I’ve never liked a lemony cake as much as this. With the 20% cut of sugar from the cake, it was just nice when moistened with the syrup, sweet, but still tangy with lemon. Well balanced, I’d say. But I can’t taste the thyme, just the lemon. Or the lemon thyme really does taste like lemon? Haha, I don’t know for sure, but it sure does make the cake taste good.

24 comments:

  1. pretty pretty pretty :) yum yum ~ jamie (fan-cy) :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting using herbs in cake baking!! I must try to add some oregano from my garden when baking pound cake too!!the texture of your cake look so fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i never try to use herbs in making cake...very new for me.
    me also the same..buy 1st then only think..that why sometime the end is in the rubbish bin..hahaha...cos no time to think and make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is superb! By the look at the texture of the cake, I know it is a nice soft cake. I like this type of cakes. This cake must be very aroma in smell. I must bake it to know it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow the texture looks really fine crumb! I like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the texture, so fine! The flavors are my favorite too, this is another recipe that I need to bookmark from your blog lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew I shouldn't have drop by at this hour. And I'm correct!!

    Now I'm craving for a piece, no, make it two pieces and a cup of tea~

    ReplyDelete
  8. yea...it has more lemony smell than thyme... but I love it ! more like lemony lemongrass :) I am sure it is great for cake and looking at yours I want to make it too !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!!! This is sooooooo pretty! And you have used both my favourite ingredients Lemon and Thyme! I must bookmark this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very unusual. Herbs in cake. That's new to me and I should try this. You are so adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks so moist and beautiful!! I love the smell with lemon thyme-it also goes well with a roast chicken! But this is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jamie,
    thanks


    My Asian Kitchen,
    oregano sounds nice too!


    Hody,
    LOL, yawoh, me too, always end up throwing, especially herbs


    Mel,
    Oh yes, the texture is nice, I prefer this over the topo cake, frankly.


    Simona,
    Thanks


    travellingfoodies,
    Thanks, fine like my skin, u know!


    yummy bakes,
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeannie,
    Hehehe.... let this skip the queue


    yvonne,
    U are so ontime for tea time treats!


    Elin,
    Hmmm, wonder if can grate some lemongrass in as well hoh, LOL


    Ellena,
    Lemon and Thyme makes a good cup of tea too!


    Phong Hong,
    Haha, try try nvm, won't die one, hehehehe.


    daphne,
    weirdly I don't smell the thyme in this. it's just all lemony

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi.. d lemon thyme smell sweeter than d other, right... BTW, just love d texture of your pound cake.. so fluffy..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Today I also made two butter cake, use for my son Birthday cake tomorrow, and decorate it, so tired now.,noticed that this recipe did not add baking rising agent, very interesting to see it still turn out wonderful. This remind me a Lemongrass butter cake that I planning to bake longer time..

    ReplyDelete
  16. i see your cake texture so fine..like that map cake. sometimes it's just not that recipe is good, your baking skills are superb! wa..sounds like i'm angkat kaki-ing you!! haha! how come i never noticed sunkist lemons? do they have a sunkist label on the lemons?

    ReplyDelete
  17. ogyep,
    It has a more lemony smell, fresher!


    Sonia,
    Oh, rest well then. I can't wait to see the cakes on your blog!


    lena,
    I was also surprised this cake's texture is really good.
    I bought the Sunkist lemons from the vege vendor inside Jusco.
    Yes with sunkist label and the smell is like those lemon candy smell, different from the other lemons, sharper!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is interesting. I always use thyme for my savoury cooking and never know it can be used too for cake baking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Look at the colour and the crumbs! I live this texture. Lemon thyme sounds special. Maybe I'll look for it the next time I go JB to see if I can find this. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i'm wondering..can you substitute the 'all purpose flour' with cake flour? will it change the cake's texture? will be happy to hear from you. thanks before :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carla,
    Cake might be slightly shorter, as you have lesser gluten for structure since no baking powder is used

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Wendy, thank you for sharing your recipe looks scrumptious! May I please ask an obvious question?.... was wondering if the flour is 225g all purpose or 325g ... looking forward to hearing from u - thank u in advance x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...