New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, May 11, 2012

Chinese Yam Chicken Soup - Chicken Soup # 3



Most of us are used to having soups made with dried Huai Shan. Of recent years, there are also fresh Huai Shan. Some call this nagaimo or Chinese Yam.

Yes, this is a true yam because it is from the family of Dioscorea. Wu Tao 芋头 or Taro is not a yam, botanically, because it's from the family of Araceae. I know it's confusing...



Chinese yams are not easy to handle. They are very slippery. So, try not to wash them after peeling. Wash and air dry(or towel dry) before use. If you wash after peeling, it will get very very slimy. I'm allergic to touching wet taro, same goes to Chinese Yam. My hands will itch. So, I had to work really quick and then wash my hands with some vinegar later on.

Anyway... let's get back to our soup.
The source's soup look so yellow hoh.. so nice. but look carefully, that is actually the chicken fat, kekekeke.
I was conned. It's ok to be conned once a while. LOL

This soup is very light, good for the warm weather now.



Chinese Yam Chicken Soup
Source: moon503

1 Local free range chicken (Kampung chicken, mine was 650gm dressed weight)
1 ft long fresh Chinese Yam (Huai Shan)
1 sprig of spring onion
3 slices of ginger
1 Tbsp Shao Xing wine
1 Tbsp goji berries/wolf berries
2L water (approximately 8 bowls)

1. Cut chicken into small pieces.
2. Put water and chicken into pot and bring to a boil.
3. Let the chicken simmer for 30 minutes. Skim off the scum. Put in the wine, onion and ginger. Simmer for another hour.
4. Meanwhile, peel and cut Chinese Yam into slanting pieces. After the chicken broth is ready, put in the Chinese yam and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Put in goji berries and simmer for another 10 minutes.
6. Season with salt and serve.

22 comments:

  1. Morning Wendy,
    nampak sedap sangat soup tu..hirup kuah panas2 memang mantap..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fresh wai sun here look a bit different. The skin is much lighter in colour. This is one slippery sucker ha ha I have to hold it with paper towel when I peel it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heard so much about this Chinese Yam but never got the chance to cook it yet. Scare the resistance from my children. I have one very picky-eater-daughter.

    Will try to ask from the vegetable seller for the weekend soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just loves soup.....Everyday dinner I must have soup and seeing you posting this soup just make me wanted to have a bowl now. At the look at your photos, I thought it was radish in the first place until I saw the ingredients is Huai San. Would it itch when peeling Huai San?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must try cooking this :) must be tasty with the fresh range chicken :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. though i've seen this fresh huai san so regularly, i've yet to try them..dont know what's stopping me. I must give it a try..its taste shouldnt be much difference compared to using dried huai shan, rite?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely clear soup, Wendy. Would love a bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hv not taste this chinese yam before although I do see it at the market...I am not very good at boiling soup always forgot and let the soup dried out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fresh Huai San? First time seeing this. All this while I saw before the dried type..is it the same? Wendy I have to say you are very talented not only in baking but in cooking too.

    Happy mothers day to you super fab mum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this soup very much! same as my family :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to cook this soup , normally mixed with Chinese herbs like red date, gei ji, yuk chuk, . It' s nice to eat also. Every time after I peel the skin my hands also itchy. Now I learn from. That wash with vinegar. Thanks.

    Yvonne yeo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy,

    Is it possible to cook this soup in a slow cooker overnight?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Riceball,
    Fresh huai shan when boiled for too long will disintergrate.
    I won't recommend it.
    If you don't have the time for it, then split the cooking. Make the broth, then keep it. Before serving, bring the broth back to a boil then do step (4) and (5)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love any soup with chinese yam! Will try your version one day and see which one my kids prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. BTW, I always cook the chinese yam together, just cut them onto bigger chucks, won't disintegrate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wendy, I like this soup! Fresh chinese yam is also available here in some of the chinese grocery shops at certain time but I never buy it! 1st time of seeing this chinese yam!

    Are sandwich gloves selling in your area? You may consider of wearing the sandwich gloves/disposable gloves(esp used in food preparation) if your skin is allergic to certain food! Look for the powder free type! I wear them all the time when I'm dealing with fresh meat & in winter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blessed Homemaker,
    Oh, mine that day turned so soft after boiling for over 10 mins, I accidently left it for 30 mins. It almost crumbled when I tried picking up with chopstick.


    Jessie,
    There are disposable gloves here, but I a plastic disposables minimalist :p

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow.. indeed fresh chinese yam is more delicious than the dried one. The soup really taste good. I hope my kids throat won't get itchy. I heard it only itchy when we touch the slippery fluid, not in cooked soup...

    ReplyDelete
  19. esther,
    cooked ones will not be itchy, don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Wendy,

    I cook this soup and it is so nice..however, when peeling the chinese yam, my arm was so itchy (really cannot tahan!!)but it is worth it to cook this nice soup...am enjoying the tasty flavor!! Thanks for your recipe!

    From,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  21. Patricia,
    glad u liked this
    the other day I also used fresh yam to cook, also very itchy, even after quickly washing with vinegar, but not as bad as before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...