New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Caesar Salad, Wendyywy's style - Salad Week # 1

Salad made in August 2011

Pei Sze, this week is for you! Congratulations with the new move! Happy salad making.

Caesar Salad, not Julius's I think. This is my twist on this classical salad.

What should be in a Caesar Salad?
Basically, romaine lettuce, croutons, olive oil, egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper.

I have bastardized it by replacing the oil+yolk+vinegar+lemon juice with mayonnaise, of which those ingredients are used to make mayonnaise. I just used the end product instead, LOL!
I also skipped the garlic (I shouldn't have, maybe next time I should add). Some versions call for mustard and I used wasabi. Some places also serve this with poached egg, but I went for hard boiled.

Why wasabi??? Last time, I don't own a bottle of mustard (now I do), and I do not want to buy a big bottle of mustard just to make this salad. So, I bought wasabi, sold in little sachets or small tubs at the sushi counter at a fraction of the cost. To me, the pungency is similar. Usually I don't consume wasabi, even when I eat sushi or sashimi, I hate the pungency that hits my nose and brain. But it's ok in this salad. And it feels somehow awkward without it (according to me). I've made this many many times, and each time, everybody enjoys it. It's a matter of personal preference if you find this version to be so unauthentic, of which is a fact.

If you don't have access to the type of romaine in the picture, just use baby romaine that is so easily available at wet markets nowadays, some call it 珍珠麦菜 or 香麦菜. Which is the proper name? I'm not sure. But just look at the picture below and get the baby version of it.


If you have missed out my post on how to make croutons, it's here


Wendy’s Caesar Salad
Recipe Source: Wendyywy

250gm romaine lettuce (1 large head, organic)
2 hardboiled eggs
1 cup croutons
1 Tbsp grated parmesan (mine is powdered, so use more if yours is freshly grated)

Dressing
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
½ Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Small pinch salt
Wasabi (as much as u like)
Black pepper

1. Wash and drain lettuce well. Shake off excess water. Tear into small pieces.
2. Combine ingredients for dressing and taste, adjust if needed.
3. Put lettuce into a big bowl. pour dressing on and toss to coat each piece of lettuce thinly with the dressing.
4. Put dressed lettuce into serving dish, top with croutons, slices of hard boiled eggs and lastly sprinkle cheese over (I forgot the cheese when I made it this time, but usually I do put).
5. Serve immediately.
The Dressing




Preparing the salad



36 comments:

  1. OOOoh, like, love, heart....all of the above!! My fav salad dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caesar Salad is my fav salad. I usually like to add a bit of anchovy paste to the dressing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon,
    One of my favs too


    Jay,
    Hope you like it


    busygran,
    aiyor, half gone liao! why u eat so much?


    Gert,
    anchovy paste? Hmm.... I've never seen that. If I ever see that I'll buy it and give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  4. A healthy theme for this week, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caesar salad is one of my fav salad, will try it one day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this salad. But if i make i wont add eggs coz am not keen on hardboild eggs. I was wondering how to make the croutons but lucky you attached the links. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love using anchovy paste too, you can get them in those squeezy tubes. BTW, i got your vouchers dy, TQ very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favourite salad, yum.

    Try with the anchovy. Add little by little coz not everybody like the strong taste.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the color of your salad. looks amazingly good and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the idea of using wasabi! I love wasabi- I always dip my sushi n plenty of wasabi+ soy sace before I eat it ;) I've never made Caesar salad before, but I do love it! (especially the dressing!) I'll have to try making it some day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Flour,
    Haha...


    Mel,
    U diet ah?


    may,
    Great, hope u like it


    Small Kucing,
    Poached eggs maybe then?


    Sharon,
    Oh great! Use them up ok!
    thanks! I'll check them up on my next trip to KL.


    Poh Lin,
    sure, if I get some I will since everybody raves about it. Or did u mean the whole thing? Ooohh that one i dun like.


    petite nyonya,
    LOL, thanks. Somehow I never view mayo as healthy.


    Von,
    Try it with wasabi, I like it this way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great theme. I can have some new ideas on my salad. I like your version of Caesar salad. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy! I don't like wasabi, can't stand the pungent smell, but I love the idea of adding croutons to the salad, next time I should try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vivian,
    Thanks.


    Min,
    Croutons are a must to Caesar salad.
    Omit the wasabi if you don't like it, but never omit the croutons, if not it won't be similiar anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also prefer hard boiled eggs. In jusco , they are selling wasabi mayonnaise, i didnt buy that but i've tried that from a friend..quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice... but this salad isn't for the diet-person loh... Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could eat 3lbs of this, lovely and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My daugther's favouorite. She loves it with a little bit of bacon toppings, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I could do with some salad days...been eating too much carbohydrate of late:P and I have a couple pieces of stale bread, perfect for croutons!:)I love the greenish color of the dressing, although I don't like wasabi either.

    ReplyDelete
  20. lena,
    I think there is too, but it's better to make my own, I can adjust the pungency level, unless you really love wasabi.
    For this, I feel the wasabi should not be obvious, just complimenting.


    ice americanos,
    Haha, yeah, caesar salads are never for the diet conscious person.


    Jennifurla,
    Oh you must eat.. baby needs it


    peteformation,
    Haha, I'm stingy not to put in bacon bits.


    Jeannie,
    LOL, the dressing seem very greenish because of the background. I put them on top of the lettuce when I took that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, oh~ I love this salad. With the name Caesar I thought the sauce would be complicated to make (But why Caesar?).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay, googled about Caesar salad. Apparently Caesar is the creator's given name (not family). Interesting fact :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. yvonne,
    Lots of salads have given names (fixed ones). I am planning to feature a few if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So light and refreshing looking. This would be perfect as the weather heats up. I love the addition of wasabi!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wasabi in salad, very interesting! Your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now this is Caesar Salad! Thanks for the inspired wasabi dressing. Wouldn't have thought of it heh. Btw, I have that same bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My Dear!!! MANY THANKS for the recipes!! LOVE IT! Wish we can meet up soon!!
    Best Regards,
    Pei Sie (Patricia)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Patricia,
    U come to meet me la, I cannot go to meet u.
    Eh, actually I still have a few salads in my drafts, but not suitable for your occasion.
    Happy Housewarming yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really Thank you my dear!!
    Love,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wendy,
    Can I toss the lettuce with the dressing few hours beforehand? I will only add the cheese, eggs and croutons before serving.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lyn,
    any salad when dressed few hours ahead will wilt and wilt and water, especially those with greens. It's not hard to toss this salad, takes only few seconds. As long as you got all the components ready, it only takes less than 1 minute.
    Make coleslaw if you want to make few hours ahead as cabbages are not as watery, that is if you dried them properly before dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ok...Is it alright for me to use Green oak lettuce? or I need to use romaine to make your caesar salad?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lyn,
    Once of the characteristics of Caesar salad is the romaine lettuce. Then again, any salads can be made with any lettuce, but the name won't be fitting if the "main actor" has been changed. If you don't care about the name, then go ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...