New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, November 25, 2011

Apple, Carrot and Orange Coleslaw - Salad Week # 3


Recipe tried out in August 2011

This is another beautiful recipe from my white elephant.

Coleslaws or affectionately called as 'slaw'. It's basically a raw cabbage salad. The most common is found in KFC, the whitish cabbage mush served with your favourite fried chicken. My FIL who doesn't eat vegetables eats coleslaw.


This version is cabbage free. The recipe in the book called for the apples to be sliced instead of julienned. But  I prefer uniformity. The crunch factor should look alike, of which in this recipe, the carrots and apples. I don't think I will enjoy eating big slices of apples, then thin matchstick of carrots together. The orange is of a different texture, so it's ok to leave them big.



My mom, who is usually lazy to do anything that requires a lot of work asked me for this recipe. LOL. She shuns cooking that requires a few steps (like prefrying) or making things bite sized.  But after she had this at my place, she asked me how to do this. I wonder have she made this at home yet.

It's better to have the ingredients julienned with the knife. A food processor or a mandolin might cause the apples to turn watery. I julienned the apples 2 hours before serving time, tossed them in lemon juice to prevent them from browning and they looked great while sitting in the fridge, waiting to be tossed and eaten.


Apple, Carrot and Orange Coleslaw
Recipe made with minor adaptations from: Country Cook's Companion by Liz Trigg

2 cups thinly julienned carrots
1 red apple, cut into thin matchsticks
1 green apple, cut into thin matchsticks
1 orange, segmented
1 smallish lemon, juiced

Dressing
2 heaped Tbsp mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, grated
1 heaped Tbsp chopped fresh herbs (parsley, dill or whichever combination you prefer)
1/8 tsp salt and black pepper to taste

1. Cut both apples into matchsticks and toss with lemon juice. Chill in fridge.
2. Slice carrots with a fruit peeler or mandolin, then julienne the slices. Cover and keep in fridge.
3. Peel orange with a knife. Cut the skin off until you see the flesh. Then run a small knife between each segment's membrane to retreive the flesh.
4. Combine ingredients for dressing, taste and adjust if needed.
5. Before serving, toss everything together and sprinkle with some extra chopped herbs.



30 comments:

  1. OMG ... this salad is so bright and cheery! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm... it's a healthy & delicious salad for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colours!! So cheerful and so spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colorful salad...love it! I like fruit salad ...so healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a refeshing salad which is full of vitamins. *_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fong,
    Me too


    “追食富迪”,
    Ya woh


    Anonymous,
    Same goes


    Sharon,
    LOL, summer everyday ;)


    Elin,
    Fruit coleslaw, LOL


    angeline,
    Good for u!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want, I want. Looks very refreshing.

    In your photo, it doesn't look as though any mayo was used. Looks like it's tossed in a vinaigrette.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had raw cucumber with dinner today....lazy to make salad....lol!

    PS: Collected the vouchers today. Thank you very much.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a happy sunshine salad! quite nice idea to hv the apples cut into strips when you want something like a coleslaw, they look matching with the carrots. reminds me of the sengkuang that i used to cook, hv to cut them into strips and i got to cut them very slowly cos i'm afraid of cutting my fingers too! you see how chefs in restaurants cut their carrots or cucumbers or others, chop chop chop chop chop .. super fast! amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. very lovely colors..i like all the salads you have done...i would definitely come to you when i want to prepare a salad...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hardly eat carrot as salad. Well should try this salad. Really colourful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow love the bright orange colours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good idea to julienne the apples. It's how we are taught in culinary school as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The colour are so bright.. Are the carrots raw?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aah...something healthy to feast the eye, I think I am putting on weight just looking at photos of delicious but sinfully fattening food!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poh Lin,
    Actually I was left with 1.5 Tbsp of mayo, hence the light look.


    Pete,
    that's healthy!


    lena,
    apples are easier than sengkuang, softer ma and the size also smaller, so not that hard to get thin slices. I'm sure ur knife skills also not bad geh, I remember your mango cake, those mango slices blew me away!


    Sherleen,
    Awww, don't come to me, too far away, come to my blog and make them urself, the recipes are all here, LOL


    Vivian,
    try it, maybe your kids will love it


    Shu Han,
    haha, the orange seems to overpower right? hahaha



    EVC,
    Yeah, it is better compared to using a "tool".



    hanushi,
    Yes, raw


    Jeannie,
    sei foh lor, salad also pile on weight. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you not asleep yet? again yeh kwai! hey, i appreciate you telling me about the key limes, dont get me wrong, yes i was confused. Those cupcake liners are cheap ones..wither from intrico or merit..just a few bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just got a wonderful Thai grater tool and I am going "hoi cheong" with this salad. I like the color combination. I bought one grater each for you and Sonia. I will pass to you when I see you next or you want me to courier to you?

    ReplyDelete
  19. lena,
    Haha, I got it la, No worries.
    Cheap ones meh? I tot they are Wilton's geh.
    Wilton's are very pricey, 10 something for 3 or 4 stacks.



    Quay Po,
    Wah, so nice of you. Thankyou in advance!
    I'm coming to KL in 2 week's time. Let's see how we can go about that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Wendy,
    I've tried your Caesar salad. It's really good except some of the croutons have turned a bit soft. Now, I would like to try your fruit and carrot coleslaw. DO you think it will go well with your chicken in milk and cream recipe plus the mashed potato?

    ReplyDelete
  21. lyn,
    Croutons should only be put in after the salad has been tossed and be eaten immediately. It is still bread and any contact with moisture will make it go soft. You must drain/air-dry the lettuce really well before using it. Same goes to all salads. How good ur salads turn out depends on how well they are drained as well.

    Any salad will be good with those 2 recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good post. You might be interested in a spicy and crunchy cole slaw I made http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/spicy-crunchy-coleslaw.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Wendy, tried another of your recipe, good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Wendy
    I made this coleslaw, it was refreshing in looks and taste except that I found the garlic to be too spicy for me. May I know what is the purpose of the grated garlic here ?
    Thank you.
    Lynn
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lynn,
    Coleslaw and caesar salads, usually do come with garlic in the dressing. It adds flavour. Use a fine grater to grate, it should not be felt as you eat it

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes Wendy. One clove. Will it be ok if I omit the garlic?
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...