New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, May 27, 2011

Mustard Green and Oyster Soup - Brassica Trio # 3


Days are hot. I’m boiling herbal drinks almost every day to cool down.

Mustard greens taste bitter. It’s the only bitter veggie that I consume, and not only consume, you can say I’m like crazy for it. I won’t be able to resist any dish with this. Be it the “rubbish vege” that we do with leftover dishes, or the banquet dish of Mustard Greens with Mushrooms, or just a simple stir fry of Mustard Greens, I can never ever resist the sight of it. I must eat and eat a lot of it. I'm insane for it.

When my saw some mustard greens at Tesco, my mind immediately remembered this soup that I’ve bookmarked for a quite a few months. My MIL said, “Won’t this be too cooling if made into soup?”. Well, to me, isn’t it perfect for this crazily hot weather? We definitely need something super cooling.
But then, just in case it’s too “cool”, I left the red dates unseeded. If you want it to be very very cool, then remove the seeds.



Mustard Green Soup
Recipe source: Foodie’s Kitchen

750gm mustard green
400gm pork soup bones or ribs
150gm carrots
20gm/4 dried oysters
4 shitake mushrooms (mine were was big as Marie biscuits when soaked, use more if yours are smaller), soaked
30gm/15 red dates
2L water

1. Bring water to boil.
2. Meanwhile, peel and cut carrots into slanting chunks.
3. Rinse oysters put them into the pot.
4. Score the red dates and put them in
5. Separate each leaf from of the mustard green and wash to remove sand. Separate the petioles(the hard crunchy parts of the leaf) and the soft leaf parts. Cut the petioles into chunks and tear the soft leaf parts into smaller pieces.
6. When water has come to a boil, put in pork ribs and bring back to a boil.
7. Put in mustard petioles and bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Reduce to a simmer for 1hour.
8. Put in soft mustard leaves and bring back to a boil. Simmer for another hour.
9. Season with salt and serve.

11 comments:

  1. At a glance I thought it was the 'chai boey' I actually like this vegetable a lot. My mom used to cook one pot rice with it and also normal stir-fry. But she never make soup out of it though. By the way, I still can't post any comment here when I sign in but I just found out that I can do it anonymously.

    Gertrude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gert,
    Oh... it's really frustrating when blogger gives so much problems.
    Hope you get out of it soon.
    Haha, like the Chai Boey. If you don't put in the leaves, it's actually looks much lighter. It's the leaves that make the soup brownish. But it's a waste to discard them and use only the stalks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah, All the nice ingredients inside, sure looks sweet and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really good soup to have since I usually only have lotus or corn soups (no idea what else to make already). Just wondering though - how should I go about preparing the mustard greens to avoid its bitterness?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy Wendy..healthy soup for the day ya...sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy little cooks,
    thanks


    pete,
    homemade soup sure use good stuff ma, haha.


    Sandy,
    after a sinful soup, better post a healthy soup


    Janine,
    Mustard greens are bitter when cooked briefly.
    When they are cooked for long periods of time, they no longer taste bitter. Don't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this sound healthy but my kids will not appreciate this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I tell my Quay Lo this soup is cooling, that is food is heaty, he will never understand. There is no such thing as cooling or heaty food for the body system in his mind. "smack forehead" - I GIVE UP!! I will defiitely want a bowl of your soup if it is cooling...I feel HOT! HOT! HOT! right now... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum! I actually do like the bitterness of this soup! and i miss the dried oysters.... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sonia,
    Yeah, kids might not like this.



    Quay Po,
    haha, cook him heaty foods for a week, and let him feel the heat, then he'll understand. Red date tea, and all the heaty confinement foods, hahaha.


    Daphne,
    It's not bitter, after all the simmering.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...